Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day Foodsies

We had such a great weekend with our families. On Sunday, we went to church and Sunday School and then we went to Taylor's parents' house first for lunch and then to my parents' house for dinner. We were tired and stuffed from all of the food at the end of the day. We love living close to family! Here are the selections I made for the weekend...
This salad is so unbelievably delicious. It's from a family friend named Cassidy, so we call it Cassidy's Sweet Salad. Here's the recipe:
Red leaf lettuce
Romaine (I actually used just green leaf lettuce in this one...whatever you have is fine.)
Slivered Almonds
Fresh Shredded Parmesan
Bacon bits
Shredded Mozzarella
Dried Cranberries
Thinly sliced red onions
Dressing:
       3/4 cup sugar
       2 tsp dried mustard powder
       1/2 cup red wine vinegar
       1 cup canola oil

Make the dressing ahead of time and then add it just before serving. Or, serve it on the side. It gets wilted pretty quick.

Then....for my parents' house...I made this salad from allrecipes.com. Except, I made a huge oops and the salad turned out not so great! I think the salad probably is good, but we really wouldn't know. I forgot to add vinegar to the dressing. While we were eating it, my mom suggested that maybe it needed vinegar and offered to mix some in. I was positive that I followed the recipe and so we just kept eating it. I looked up the recipe when we got home and realized that I DID KNOW it needed vinegar because I remembered then that I even checked the kitchen to see if we had enough red wine vinegar for two salads. Have you ever done that? I completely and totally forgot something that I had just known a few hours before. Like when you ask what time it is and then you need to ask again in five minutes because you weren't listening to the answer. Ok, anyway...also I used feta cheese instead of bleu. Not because the flavors are the same, but because the textures are similar. Here's a picture of this adventure:
And for desserts, I made two very simple pies, both from allrecipes.com. A fresh strawberry pie
And this rich chocolate Oreo pie:

No comments: