Saturday, October 02, 2010

Pumpkin Cake

I made pumpkin bars last week, but I put them in a different sized pan and they turned out a little taller and fluffier than they should have, so I'm calling it pumpkin cake instead. This recipe is from the Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book, which my mom gave to me for Valentine's Day once. What a perfect gift! (She also gave me the pretty antique plates in this picture!)  Also, this recipe has a little less sugar than most pumpkin bars and tastes just perfect--moist and not overly sweet!
  • In a large bowl, stir together 2 cups flour, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. (Recipe also calls for 1/4 tsp ground cloves but I didn't have this.)
  • Stir in 4 beaten eggs, 1 15oz can of pumpkin, and 1 cup of veg. oil until well combined. 
  • Spread into a 9x13 pan.
  • Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Use a toothpick in the center to check for doneness.
  • Spread cream cheese frosting after cooling for two hours. There is a recipe for frosting, but I really think a can of cream cheese frosting is easier and tastes just fine. I used Duncan Hines whipped cream cheese frosting and only used about 3/4 of the can.

No comments: