Saturday, November 06, 2010

Baked Potato Soup

This is my favorite soup ever! Most of my favorite foods are ones my mom makes, and this recipe came from her. This soup is especially easy if you do the first two steps way ahead of time. After those steps, it only takes about 20 minutes from start to finish.  Enjoy!
1. Bake 6 small-medium potatoes with the skin on. I microwave them until they're cooked thoroughly.
2. Cook 12 slices of bacon. I like to bake it in the oven until it's really, really crisp and done.
3. Melt 2/3 cup of butter in a big stock pot.
4. Add 2/3 cup of flour and continually stir until a paste is made, over low heat. Be careful not to burn it.
5. Bring up the heat and begin adding 6 cups of milk. I add two cups at a time, stirring constantly, as it heats, to keep the temperature hot, but not boiling.
6. Once all of the milk is added and is mixed with the butter/flour, add all the stuff: diced potatoes, chopped bacon, about 4 green onions chopped, 1 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese shredded, 8 oz. sour cream, 1 tbsp chicken soup flavoring (I use Better than Boullion), 1/2 tsp. salt, and1/2 tsp. pepper.
7. Keep it on medium to low heat until it's heated thoroughly and seems ready to eat (maybe 15-20 minutes.) Keep stirring and watch that it doesn't burn at the bottom. Add some more milk (up to two cups even!) until it's the thickness you like. The next day, it will be very thick, so I may wait to add milk then.

No comments: