Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Broccoli & Potato Cheddar Soup--Best Soup Ever

On Sunday morning we were both hungry for soup, so I went to the store to get ingredients for this soup. While I was making it, I tweaked it quite a bit, so I'm going to write down what I did here (from what I remember.) In person, the soup wasn't that yellow actually.
  1. Use a chef's chopper (small food processor) to finely chop about 3/4 of a medium onion. Put this in a soup pot with a couple of tablespoons of marg. to saute. Add 1 tsp. minced garlic.
  2. Cut up 3/4 lb. of potatoes (any kind, but I used tiny golden potatoes) and add to the onion.
  3. Add 5 cups of hot water & bouillon combo./stock  (whatever you like to use for soups.) Bring to a boil for about 15 minutes and then reduce to a simmer. 
  4. Meanwhile, finely chop carrots and broccoli in a chef's chopper. I used a handful of baby carrots and one whole stalk of broccoli for this step. 
  5. Add the veggies, plus some larger pieces of broccoli
  6. Pour in one cup of half and half
  7. Pour in about 2 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
  8. Salt and pepper to taste, stir until it's ready to eat.
I also baked a take and bake french loaf from Kroger's bakery...fresh, pipping hot bread is amazing. :)

No comments: