Saturday, March 20, 2010

Crockpot Beef Carnitas


These were soo good and soo easy! I found the recipe from allrecipes.com. It's called Ronaldo's Carnitas, but I changed it just a bit from what the comments said about using a crock pot instead of the oven. I was glad I did, just because crock pot cooking is the easiest way to cook! Cooking beef like this is also called braising...it's cooked with liquid and cooked slowly. This made plenty of meat for us with lots leftover. I served the carnitas with homemade guacamole and blue corn chips.

chuck roast (I had a 2 lb. roast.)
cumin
garlic (powder or minced)
cayenne pepper
1 small can of chopped green chilles
tortillas
toppings for tacos (cheese, lettuce, sour cream, tomatoes, guacamole, etc.)
1. Place the roast in the crock pot. Sprinkle cumin, garlic, cayenne pepper over the roast on both sides.
2. Pour chilles directly on roast. Fill the chilles can with water and pour around the edges of the roast, twice.
3. Use your judgement with your crock pot for cooking. I put mine on high at 1pm. Soon it started cooking too much I thought, so I switched it to low for the rest of the time. I was planning on serving it at 8pm, but it was ready by 6:30pm.
4. Shred the meat on a plate. It should shred very easily with two forks. Return to the crock pot, which should still have lots of liquid. Sprinkle seasonings again, depending on how spicy you want it. You may want to add another can of chilles to make it extra flavorful.

No comments: