Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Cuban Pork Sandwiches

Two meals in my first two days of school! And even with plenty of leftovers for the rest of the week. We went to One World last weekend and Taylor ordered and loved the Cuban Pork. After searching around for a little while, I came across an article about the One World Cuban Pork Sandwich and derived a recipe from the article. I found a pork roast from Kroger's on Manager's Special (meat that's about to expire, I think) that was only $3.75. It was small, about 1 3/4 lb., but it was great for us! This makes about 7 sandwiches, so again, this is a pretty cheap meal.
  1. Put the pork roast in the crock pot with enough liquid to cover it. I used 1 qt of chicken stock and 1 qt of water. Season well with garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook all day, depending on your crock pot. I had it on low from 7am-5pm, and then I put it on warm until we came home at 7pm. Shred it with forks a little.
  2. Use ciabatta rolls (I couldn't find them at the store I was, so I used sub bread.) and swiss cheese. I should have toasted them, but I didn't think of it.
  3. Mix 2 parts mayo, 2 parts barbeque sauce, and 1 part something spicy. I used spicy mayo for my something spicy. Spread this on the bread. 
I haven't really had this meal at One World, so I don't actually know how close it was, but I'd make this again for sure. :)

No comments: