Sunday, November 21, 2010

Kinda Spicy Macaroni and Cheese

(Photo from here.)
I just realized it's been two weeks since I've last posted...eee! This is one of our favorite recipes. It's very easy to make and can be very inexpensive if you buy cheese when it's on sale. I didn't take a picture because I forgot! I got the recipe from here, but I usually change it each time I've made it. Here is the recipe toned down a bit, how I make it. It's not as spicy, and it uses a whole cup less of cheese!
  1. Boil 1/2 box of pasta. I like elbow pasta for this. Preheat the oven to 350.
  2. Combine the spices. I keep these the same as what's in the above link.
  3. Put the pasta into the baking dish. Add the creams, spices, cheese. Here's where I make some changes... You can do all half and half for less fat and it still tastes fine! Also, an egg isn't really necessary. At least, I've forgotten it and thought it turned out the same. Cheeses---I use a bag of Kraft (because I haven't seen another brand that has this combo.) shredded cheddar/monterrey jack cheese. Save just a little for the topping. Pepper jack is what they recommend, but that just makes it more spicy. This recipe calls for 24 ounces of cheese...that's crazy. I use maybe 16 ounces, if that.
  4. Skip the topping! I'm sure it's good, but it's just butter and breadcrumbs...not really needed with something as delicious and rich as creamy mac and cheese! 
  5. Bake it for about 20-30 minutes until it's all warm and gooey.

No comments: